Home » FAQs » Can the funds in my bank account be seized or frozen by collectors?

Can the funds in my bank account be seized or frozen by collectors?

The short answer is yes! If you owe creditors, collectors or anyone else money, they can obtain a money judgment and have the funds in your bank account frozen or they can seize them outright. Here is a brief overview of the rules:

Whoever holds a judgment against you can go to someone else who owes you money or is holding money for you and intercept that money through a wage garnishment or garnishment of your bank account. Anyone who owes you money, or holds money for you, is called the “garnishee defendant” and through the garnishment process, can be forced to reveal to the court how much money they owe you.

Then, the court can require, through an order called a Writ of Garnishment, to force the bank or your employer to pay a certain part of the money owed to you, into the court registry. After receiving payment, the court turns the money over to whoever holds the judgment.

In order for someone to garnish your wages or bank account, they need to know someone who owes you money or where you bank or where you work before they can proceed with a garnishment action. The garnishment process costs a small fee (around $20.00 in most states), plus the costs of serving the papers. You will more than likely have to pay these fees as well.

Note: Only disposable earnings and the amount set by state law can be garnished from wages. Ask the clerk of the court for the correct amount in your state.

Learn more about Garnishment of wages and bank accounts

What to do if your account becomes overdrawn as a result of the garnishment or post-dated checks. Overdrawn Bank Accounts

If a debt collector has improperly seized or frozen your bank account, or if you believe you are a victim of unfair or illegal debt collection tactics, submit your information to a FREE* Fair Debt Lawyer by:

The debt collector may just be liable to you for statutory damages of up to $1,000, plus any actual damages suffered, plus attorney fees!

Free Attorney Review


  1. Can some one freeze a bank account when you are 2 and signer on a account the money is not youre mone

    • A parent or guardian would also be named on a child’s bank account. A debt collector with a right to garnish (for example, arising from a judgment) can seize any non-exempt funds from your bank, and garnish up to 25% of your disposable income from your paycheck. The Debt Help Lawyers at this site can provide you a free, no obligation Fair Debt consultation. The worst thing to do is nothing, so call us now at 888-595-9111 and we will get started figuring our how to help you!

Leave a Reply

Free Attorney Review

Confidential InformationNotice: There may be instances where discussing your situation over a public forum could potentially compromise your interests. On these occasions we will contact you directly via email in order to answer your inquiry in a confidential manner. If you would like to speak confidentially, please start your free attorney review instead of leaving a reply.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *