Home » FAQ » Bad Checks » Do bad (bounced) checks have a collection statutes of limitation?

Do bad (bounced) checks have a collection statutes of limitation?

Answer: First, we need to be clear on the difference between a “bad check” and a check written with the “intent to defraud”.

In simple terms, a bad check is usually the result of poor math calculations or your bank making a miscalculation. In either case, your intentions were good when you wrote the check. You thought you had enough money to cover the check and can show where the mistake was made thus proving your good intentions. Crooks, on the other hand, write bad checks with the intention of ripping people off. Writing checks when you know you do not have the money to cover them is a serious crime that, if caught, can land you in jail or even prison.

Make no mistake about it, writing bad checks is always illegal. However, just about every state has a statute of limitations (SoL) on the collection of bad checks; typically 2 or 3 years. If you receive a collection notice or call about a bad check, don’t panic! First, check to see if the Statute of Limitations has expired.

Next, decide whether you want (or can afford) to pay the debt. If you plan to pay the debt, be sure that you are only paying what state law allows. Check your state law to determine what fee(s) (if any) collectors can add to the face value of the check. Many states limit collection fees to a certain amount such as $100 or to a percentage of the face value of the check and prohibit interest charges.

The FDCPA, Section 808 makes it an unfair practice to collect “any amount (including any interest, fee, charge or expense . . ..) unless such an amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by State law.”

Debt collectors may attempt to collect a fee or charge in addition to the debt if either:

(A) the charge is expressly provided for in the contract creating the debt and the charge is not prohibited by state law, or
(B) the contract is silent but the charge is otherwise expressly permitted by state law.
Conversely, debt collectors may not collect an additional amount if either:
(A) state law expressly prohibits collection of the amount or;
(B) the contract does not provide for collection of the amount and state law is silent.
NOTE: If state law permits collection of reasonable fees, the reasonableness (and consequential legality) of these fees is determined by state law. So, unpaid debts sent to collection agencies, whether closed or charged off MAY still accrue charges and fees IF the credit contract allows it and State law does not prohibit it. Many states do limit the amount that can be charged and, if the State does have a law, it overrules the credit contract.

Cancelled Checks: When you write a check, it’s like writing a promissory note that says the funds are available and when the instrument (in this case a check) is presented to your bank, funds will be withdrawn from your account to cover the amount of the check. When this happens, the debt is, in effect cancelled, thus the term “cancelled check”.

However, the same term can also be used when you cancel a check. For instance, after sending a check, you change your mind, you can ask your bank to cancel (stop payment) on the check. This means the bank will not honor the check if presented. Banks usually charge a fee for this service.

You may want to retain an attorney to help you settle that bad check debt or determine if any of your rights were violated by the collector trying to collect that check. Click here for a free consultation.

Free Attorney Review


  1. is a check “bad” if you still have a customer relationship with the bank but have closed the account? i cited community reinvestment act on something in order to get it processed. it was for a very small amount. less than 30$.

    • Are they attempting to collect on this old check? When did it occur and have collection letters been sent to you? Happy to review this at no cost, give us a call. 888-595-9111

  2. I received a letter in the mail today about a debt. It did not tell me what it was pertaining to, so I called. They said it was to a business in a town I used to live in. I lived in Montana, but have not lived there since sept 2014. I am now in Utah. Anyway they said it was a returned check from 2009! That was 6 years ago! I vaguely remember this and I know I settle whatever fees and stuff with my bank then because I closed that account in 2010, due to not having a job and not needing an account. Now this many years later they write me and want me to pay, which if I owe I will do. The orignal check is for $250, but they want me to pay $855! An extra $605. She said it was for court filing fees and stuff. What stuff could cost this much. Also they did not try to serve or contact me (at my old Montana address) until last month. Is it legal to not contact someone for 6 years and then try to charge all of these fees? If I would have been contacted at anytime before now I would have take care of it. Truth is I had no idea about it until today. She said they sent me a notice in 2009 and I didn’t respond, I don’t remember this. But really one notice and them nothing for years. Please help! I don’t have very much money especially to pay an extra $600 when they didn’t contact me for 6 years.

    • im going through same thing only they took to court i never recieved paper work and every 6 months they are continuing to re take it to court

Leave a Reply

Free Attorney Review

Confidential InformationNotice: There may be instances where discussing your situation over a public forum could potentially compromise your interests. On these occasions we will contact you directly via email in order to answer your inquiry in a confidential manner. If you would like to speak confidentially, please start your free attorney review instead of leaving a reply.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *